Limited Assurance Report of the Independent Auditor Regarding the Combined Separate Non-Financial Report
To the Executive Board of Wacker Chemie Aktiengesellschaft, Munich
We have performed an independent limited assurance engagement on the non-financial statement of Wacker Chemie AG, Munich (further “Wacker Chemie AG”), according to § 315b of the German Commercial Code (HGB), that is combined with the non-financial statement of the parent company in accordance with § 289b HGB, (further “combined separate non-financial report”) for the period from January 1 to December 31, 2020.
The legal representatives of the Company are responsible for the preparation of the combined separate non-financial report in accordance with §§ 315b, 315c in conjunction with 289b to 289e HGB.
This responsibility of the legal representatives includes the selection and application of appropriate methods to prepare the combined separate non-financial report and the use of assumptions and estimates for individual disclosures which are reasonable under the given circumstances. Furthermore, the legal representatives are responsible for the internal controls they deem necessary for the preparation of the combined separate non-financial report that is free of – intended or unintended – material misstatements.
It is our responsibility to express a conclusion on the combined separate non-financial report based on our work performed within a limited assurance engagement.
We conducted our work in the form of a limited assurance engagement in accordance with the International Standard on Assurance Engagements (ISAE) 3000 (Revised): “Assurance Engagements other than Audits or Reviews of Historical Financial Information”, published by IAASB. Accordingly, we have to plan and perform the assurance engagement in such a way that we obtain limited assurance as to whether any matters have come to our attention that cause us to believe that the combined separate non-financial report of the Company for the period from January 1 to December 31, 2020 has not been prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with §§ 315b and 315c in conjunction with 289b to 289e HGB. We do not, however, issue a separate conclusion for each disclosure. As the assurance procedures performed in a limited assurance engagement are less comprehensive than in a reasonable assurance engagement, the level of assurance obtained is substantially lower. The choice of assurance procedures is subject to the auditor’s own judgement.
Within the scope of our engagement we performed, amongst others, the following procedures:
- Inquiries of group-level personnel who are responsible for the materiality analysis in order to understand the processes for determining material topics and respective reporting boundaries for Wacker Chemie AG
- A risk analysis, including media research, to identify relevant information on Wacker Chemie AG’s sustainability performance in the reporting period
- Evaluation of the design and the implementation of systems and processes for the collection, processing and monitoring of disclosures, including data consolidation, on environmental, employee and social matters, respect for human rights, and anti-corruption and bribery matters
- Inquiries of group-level personnel who are responsible for determining disclosures on concepts, due diligence processes, results and risks, performing internal control functions and consolidating disclosures
- Inspection of selected internal and external documents
- Analytical procedures for the evaluation of data and of the trends of quantitative disclosures as reported at group level by all sites
- Evaluation of local data collection, validation and reporting processes as well as the reliability of reported data based on a sample of the site in Charleston (USA)
- Assessment of the overall presentation of the disclosures
In our opinion, we obtained sufficient and appropriate evidence for reaching a conclusion for the assurance engagement.
Independence and Quality Assurance on the Part of the Auditing Firm
In performing this engagement, we applied the legal provisions and professional pronouncements regarding independence and quality assurance, in particular the Professional Code for German Public Auditors and Chartered Accountants (in Germany) and the quality assurance standard of the German Institute of Public Auditors (Institut der Wirtschaftsprüfer, IDW) regarding quality assurance requirements in audit practice (IDW QS 1).
Based on the procedures performed and the evidence obtained, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the combined separate non-financial report of Wacker Chemie AG for the period from January 1 to December 31, 2020 has not been prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with §§ 315b and 315c in conjunction with 289b to 289e HGB.
Restriction of Use/General Engagement Terms
This assurance report is issued for purposes of the Executive Board of Wacker Chemie AG, Munich, only. We assume no responsibility with regard to any third parties.
Our assignment for the Executive Board of Wacker Chemie AG, Munich, and professional liability as described above was governed by the General Engagement Terms for Wirtschaftsprüfer and Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaften (Allgemeine Auftragsbedingungen für Wirtschaftsprüfer und Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaften) in the version dated January 1, 2017 (https://kpmg.de/bescheinigungen/lib/aab.pdf). By reading and using the information contained in this assurance report, each recipient confirms notice of the provisions contained therein including the limitation of our liability as stipulated in No. 9 and accepts the validity of the General Engagement Terms with respect to us.
Munich, March 4, 2021